Saturday, October 07, 2006

Nae as Gid as Embra Castle, Like


Or so says the (Scottish) friend who took this picture of the Colosseum. There is no denying that Edinburgh is very pretty, something I had managed to forget over the years, just because of the tendency of very familiar things to evoke no wonderment whatsoever no matter how richly deserved. Edinburgh is a town that smells of hops and sounds of bagpipes and my auntie lives there: the end. But when I went back over the summer I was very struck with how beautiful it was, and I think not just in a wistful patriotic way (though I was with the Scottish friend, who was a bad benchmark for this, admittedly). Why they call it the Athens of the North I couldn't say, not least because I have never seen Athens. I'd have though Edinburgh's hill-bound location would more obviously earn it the title "The Caledonian Rome" vel sim; but perhaps Rome is indeed really too measly to sustain the comparison...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home