Monday, October 09, 2006

Thanksgiving

Canadian Thanksgiving falls at a different time from American, though there's a "quot homines tot sententiae" issue with why (sorry, just wanted an excuse to use the word quot, one of my favourites). The most persuasive is that it has something to do with Harvest Festival, so we'll go with that. It is a very important festival indeed here and people travel a very long way to be with their families. It is much nicer than Christmas, however, not only because the weather isn't punishing but also because it is almost completely uncommercial. There is nothing in the shops to tell you that it is Thanksgiving (except closed signs). This is perhaps related to the refreshing fact that at Thanksgiving one doesn't give presents, one just gives Thanks.

Today is the day, in any case, and here's (some of ) what I'm giving thanks for, in no particular order - please feel free to add your gratitudes as a comment, I'd love to see them.

-- The excellent dinner I had last night in Wish Bar, a joint much cooler than anywhere I could have tracked down -- the incredibly kind colleague who took me out for said dinner so I wouldn't be all alone on the wrong side of the pond during the country's biggest family festival -- my sole Eurotrash chum here, who is a find, a love and a star: dig those Celts -- The Harbord Bakery, the best Jewish bakery ever: chollah anyone? -- the continued health of my supremely gravid and beloved sister-in-law -- red maple leaves (truly beautiful: if I had a flag I would put this on it) -- brilliant sunshine in October -- the Choir of St Mary Mags -- a smashing little coat I found for cheap in Zara which gives me the appearance of a waist -- my generous and patient housemates -- Skype (get it, all of you) -- the perception and wisdom of Random House Publishing -- true love (you know who you are, you lucky things) -- Marc and Jess's new baby (mazal tov) -- emailable photos -- the single Veronensis MS that preserved the poems of Catullus --the very existence of the city of Oxford and the university I love -- the friendliness of Torontonians -- my enormous and delightful family, scattered as we are -- the fact that my cat Octavia is still alive though I've had her since I was seven -- the pinot noir grape -- my iPod -- the lovely Classics Faculty and students -- the seemingly bottomless kindness of my stepfather -- (more to follow...)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

x

1:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home