Monday, November 20, 2006

I am Mary Wollstonecraft

Directed by Jenny and Tom, I took this short quiz and discovered that I am Mary Wollstonecraft, which is nice. The questions were a bit perplexing. At first I couldn't understand why I was being enjoined to decide whether I was either creative OR intellectual OR passionate but not allowed to be all three. Likewise why I couldn't use both humour and brains to win a debate, or even enjoy both coffee in cafes and also conversations with my friends. I began to wonder if everyone else had known for ages that you were meant to decide on just one of these and stick to it, and no one had told me. Then I started to worry that the reason for all my problems was that I had foolishly been trying to hold simultaneously the manifestly logically incompatible beliefs that women should be respected culturally and intellectually, and also have an equal share in government, and also not be physically brutalized. When it came to questions about the number and sex of my offspring I twigged that perhaps they were not signing me up for an ideology after all but just trying to find out how many basic details I knew about some historic feminists. By which time it was too late to tailor my answers to make sure I was Simone De Beauvoir. Damn.
Anyway, it turns that to be an inspiring woman I would need to be dead. Which is not very inspiring.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Ah you will be jealous for I *am* Simone de Beauvoir.. The question that most perplexed me was ''relating to matters of family life are you...'' and proceeded to give me 4 options of husband/child combinations. No singledom for us then!

7:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home