Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Curses

Something called the World Series has pushed House off the TV schedule. I am so cross that I will not even deign to google "world series" in order to find out what this barabraic business may involve, but I am fairly sure that it will be some game or other, and that is unlikely to feature a middle-aged Hugh Laurie being cantankerous and objectionable yet strangely attractive.
I should add that I had never seen or even heard of this programe until a couple of months ago, owing to having a life and no telly. Now that this situation has been reversed, I have become something of a fan. The whole set-up is absurd and contrived (brilliant but unapproachable doctor solves intricate medical "mysteries", saving lives and winning hearts passim, etc) and rather hammily acted and painfully implausible, but hey, the nights are long out here. Anyway, I thought I was a fan, because I would watch it if it were on and I were in, and might have half a mind to set it to record if I saw an episode coming up.
It turns out that this is not what being a fan means, however, as you will see if you click on the link above and scroll down a bit. Being a fan would appear to consist of uploading masses of semi-literate material about the similarities between a telly doctor and Cyrano de Bergerac. Even better is a link to the site of a real doctor who has put up pages and pages of explanations of all the medical terms in the show, carefully referenced by individual episode, and also some fascinating analyses of which episodes he finds most and least plausible, including (joy!) marks on an American style GPA for quality of mystery, solution etc. Would you want this person treating you? Okay, maybe if he looked like Hugh Laurie.
Becoming suddenly aware that web-drivellers in glass houses shouldn't throw stones , I think I will go to bed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love house too. but then i fancy hugh laurie and have no friends. there could even be a causal relation there, i think. bx

12:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home