Monday, November 20, 2006

Dead Feminists

I have just been back to find out what other feminist I might have been if I hadn't been Mary Wollstonecraft, but it wouldn't tell me unless I completed the quiz again. So I went through ticking boxes completely at random, and I still came out as Mary Wollstonecraft. I don't know if there's a message in that.
I get the sense one of the Pankhursts is lurking in there, and wonder which. I hope it's Christabel. I used to be a Latin mistress in a girls' boarding school where one of my joyful duties was to be head of Pankhurst house, but sadly it was (for all anyone seemed to know) named for Emmeline and not her good pinko daughter. Despite my admiration for the suffrage movement and love of my personalized house hoody with "Mrs Pankhurst" on the back, I really wanted to be head of Fry (Elizabeth, 1780-1845). This is not because my stint in the girls' boarding school gave me a special affinity for lunatic asylum and prison reform, but because our hoodies were regulation blue and theirs were, irresistably, scarlet and black.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cie said...

I just did the quiz too, and I am Virginia Woolf apparently. Which I'm not that happy about, I see myself more as an Emma Goldman type...

4:07 pm  
Blogger Cie said...

PS I don't actually think there's a Pankhurst there at all - there's S de B, VW and MW as we've discovered, but there were only five options, Fawcett is in there somewhere, and isn't that one about turning the world upside down Sojourner Truth?

4:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fawcett is indeed in there somewhere, for I am she. It's a worry, since I don't really see myself as an amanuensis to a blind politician husband.

10:44 pm  
Blogger Scarlet said...

Mother, I've seen you doing your husband's typing.

4:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, well, it's that or wait three years to get to check my emails or do my own work, since his typing speed is ten words a fortnight. Because, of course, he has always had secretaries to do such mundane work and so has never built up any proficiency himself. Patriarchy: it's a bit of a nuisance.

9:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home