Monday, October 23, 2006

How I Learned to Stop Fidgeting and Love the 'Song

For reasons to do with the organisation of my job (I did have one once) and personal life (ditto), over the last few years I have been to a lot of Evensong services. I think your average lay clerk and most clergy have probably not sat through as many Mags and Nuncs as I have done since 2003, or perhaps it just feels that way. I was never much of an enthusiast for these particular offices, to be honest, and could quite often be found sitting in the car outside the church listening to the Archer's Omnibus and reading the Observer Magazine. This is particularly strange given that the music is, for me, What It's All About.
I have just discovered that this aversion is the fault of English churches. It really is no wonder that I was itching to get out of Evensong when they'd have fully three hymns (why?) in addition to the psalm and then ply us with a homily on top of that. And my word, the prayers went on forever, including having the Lord's prayer twice in ten minutes for reasons I could never understand. (Perhaps the weirdo blog commentator who left the message saying "All Masses are the same as each other" - which they aren't - will make himself useful and write and explain.) Stanford in C is all very well but at that level of dilution I used to start reading the hymnbook for something to do. Good stuff in there. Full marks to As Pants The Hart for getting the word "pants" into a church service, and to Gladly My Cross I'd Bear for most vivid and confusing homophone.
Anyway, I went to a cracking Evensong tonight at St Thomas', or "Smoky Tom's" as I heard it called at a dinner party last night. All sung (Murrill in E, Holman "The Strain Upraise", for anyone to whom that might mean anything), prayer book, no mucking about, no preaching, one hymn, devotions and then home, all in sixty minutes and never a dull moment. I noticed with some wist that I'd missed Howells Coll. Reg. at Mass, but I mustn't let the virile Edwardian appeal of St T's repertoire start me cheating on beautiful Mary Mags, which is prettier and their choir is better and sings older and even nicer music. Quite why there should be two screamingly High Anglican churches within a couple of blocks of each other I don't know, but if Oxford doesn't have to justify a concentration that practically provides a chapel each per parishioner then nor does Toronto, I suppose.
Inside the church was toasty and bright and full of incense, and outside it was crisp and dark and there were damp multi-coloured leaves underfoot: very autumnal, very lovely, and it put me in the mood for cello music, which Mr Haydn is now providing. It could only be a Sunday night.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was under the impression that the line "Gladly, my cross I'd bear" is a myth, and doesn't actually appear in any hymn. Do you have a reference?

3:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's interesting. i've always wondered where my aversion to this kind of music - as well as the setting in which it generally unfolds, and which it cannot help but evoke even if you're listening to it on an ipod on the moon - came from. i always thought it was because i have Femily In The Church, and the cognitive sidestep from Thomas Tallis to the image of barely edible baked goods made by one's second cousin, to be consumed on deckchairs on their cabbage patch, is even shorter for me than it is for most people. it's good to know you too have struggled with this problem, given that your personal life, as you acknowledge, would suggest otherwise. on paper, at least.

6:11 pm  
Blogger Scarlet said...

Well, Tom, I'm certain it's a line from a hymn, because I've sung it (and have some lingering memory that the author may be a woman called Fanny something), but I wouldn't stake my life that it's in Hymns Ancient and Modern; I think it's actually something from a more (gasp) non-conformist tradition. Mere rhetorical license, I'm afraid.
It may be that one could find it in the horrible Hymns Old and New: I'd have to do some research to find that out as I avoid any churches that use it. But that's a rant for another day.

5:12 pm  
Blogger James said...

Apparently it's from a line of the hymn 'Keep Thou My Way' by Fanny Crosby (author of such popular romances as The Night Is Young, Miss Mischief, Her Profligate Boss &c.):

'Kept by Thy tender care, gladly the cross I'd bear'

Google knows everything.

6:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home